This project is a bungalow remodel where the clients have almost doubled the value of their home.
Transformation almost doubled value of home
The project included the transformation of an old garage into a light and spacious two-storey extension, adding an extra two bedrooms to the property. A break from the norm for the town of Brackley in South Northamptonshire, the extension coupled with interior reconfiguration and refurbishment gives the house a more stylish and open feeling. As well as the new bedrooms and study in the extension, the entrance hall has been opened up to provide a more open plan layout that improves the flow and circulation of the internal spaces. A poor quality existing conservatory was replaced with a new better quality sunroom, which links to a new dining area that will extend from the kitchen and make the most of the surrounding plot.
The new layout improves the flow throughout the dwelling, separating living spaces from bedrooms. A new wider entrance is provided, much more practical and welcoming. A better quality of space is provided with increased daylight via roof lights and sunpipes lighting a previously dark and dingy corridor. The new dining area and sunroom join the previously fragmented extensions creating a more cohesive building that offers more space and light to the main living areas.
The addition of rooflights, sunpipes and new openings such as French windows have been very effective at maximising the daylight inside, and the introduction of larch cladding adds an interesting dimension to the exterior. All new windows and doors are aluminium and double-glazed.
- Two-storey extension with large triangular window and front entrance, clad in timber (Photograph by Luke Stevens Photography)
- Living room (Photograph by Luke Stevens Photography)
- Living room with kitchen and dining beyond. Rooflight and bifold patio doors maximise daylight. (Photograph by Luke Stevens Photography)
- Full-height triangular window in master bedroom (Photograph by Luke Stevens Photography)
- Patio doors and white-rendered part of house (Photograph by Luke Stevens Photography)
- Ground floor plan
- Approach view
- Rear view
- Original bungalow before alterations
- Original garage